Tuesday, August 25, 2009

So...a little bit about me first...

I'm late thirties, married, two kids.

I graduated from the University of Minnesota's Mortuary Science Program with a BS in Mortuary Science (yes, it's an actual degree).

Hmm...too far too fast...

People always ask me, "What made you decide to become a funeral director?"

The smart ass in me will usually say something to the effect that I like to wear suits and drive big cars. Well, the suits get to be just work clothes and the big cars are basically Cadillac Station Wagons with HUGE blind spots and room for a ton of groceries.

Truth of the matter is, you have to write an essay in Mort Sci about theat very question.

After my first freshman semester, the one where I drank too much and got fat, I had the epiphany that I didn't have the attention span or study skills to be a veteranarian or doctor.

So, back when we still had Christmas break, I went home, and worked for a few weeks to replenish my funds.

Long story short, I spent two funerals in the same funeral home where I would, unbeknownst to me, eventually work. Saw the director there just work absolute magic on the mourners. Explored the place a bit and looked around while it was quiet. Became..interested.

I returned to school and started second semester. I received a letter detailing the majors that the school had to offer and Pre-Professional: Mortuary Science jumped off of the page. One of my few actual moments where I can say I received a sign. So, it started...

I began to tailor my major and electives to get into Mortuary School. Still didn't own a suit or could even begin to imagine the adventures I'd have...

Sleep well, more to come...

The Director

No comments:

Post a Comment